1/16/2013

Christmas knitting

Somehow...magically, miraculously...I carved out some hours from my holiday playing to knit some things for my Mom. I always like to do  something special and handmade for Christmas for her. And this year it was this:

A little knitted and felted and needle felted and beaded purse.
All pointy and cute and asymmetrical and fairy-like for my Mom,

Knitting to felt (or full, I guess it's technically called, but felt sounds nicer) is a crazy process. You start out with a big, floppy, shapeless piece of knitted fabric...

(looks like a pair of stretched-out socks, doesn't it?)

...and then you put it in the washing machine on hot and cold and spin and voila...

...you get this thick, lovely, wonderful piece of fabric!

Before I stitched it together, I needle felted on some designs and added some beads. I love needle felting. It's a good thing to do when you need to get out some frustrations - it's a lot of stabbing with a sharp needle but with lovely results.

 A close-up of the results. LOVE.

I have to give credit where credit is due, however...my friend Melinda raised the Icelandic sheep that grew the wool that was spun into the yarn I used to knit this lovely piece. You can find out more about Melinda's yarn on her etsy page: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WellspringWoolens

 And I did have some design help from SamTheCat.
Thanks for choosing that green roving, kitty.
It was perfect.

Now I'm on to more knitting - with some beautiful yellow yarn from Ireland (that I brought back from my last trip to Dingle). I'll keep you posted on the progress of that.

Ah, January. I love the knitting breaks you offer between writing bursts!

No comments:

Post a Comment