9/07/2012

Amy Kortuem: Zucchini Slayer - Part 2

The last batch of zucchini bread was disastrous. Tasted fine, but the exploding batter and the resulting mess in my oven and the smoke filling the house was not fun. Not fun at all.

But Amy Kortuem the Zucchini Slayer is not one to give up easily. This was quick bread, for crying out loud. What could possibly be so hard? I put out the call for a good recipe for a nebulous "next time."

Well, fate intervened. Last Friday, I got a Facebook message from a friend at work that there was another monster zucchini at the give-away table, just waiting for me. Fairly calling my name. I had taken the day off work, but drove up there to fetch this big beauty:

I think it's even bigger than the last one.

In the oven, using Grandma Freda's pans for luck.

 Success. SUCCESS, people. 
(Amy Kortuem the Zucchini Slayer does a victory dance around her kitchen 
with the butcher knife she used to massacre that zucchini in her hand...)

I decided to try Mary Bergemann's recipe (via my Mom) first. I have enough shredded zucchini in the freezer to make two more batches...next time I'm trying my friend Valerie's chocolate zucchini bread recipe. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Barbara9/07/2012

    I can almost smell it! All the way to St. Paul!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet smell of success goes far.

      Delete
  2. Recipe PULEEZE!
    or you could make a salad..ahem
    recipe more or less at PB/Chef Marthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zucchini Bread
      ~ Mom via Mary Bergmann

      3 eggs, beaten 3 cups flour
      1 cup oil 1 Tbsp cinnamon
      2 cups sugar 1 tsp salt
      2 cups grated zucchini 1 tsp baking powder
      1 tsp vanilla 1 tsp soda


      • Beat eggs and oil. Add sugar and zucchini and vanilla. Beat well.
      • Add flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and soda. Blend well.
      • Pour into two 9x5 loaf pans
      • Bake at 325 for 1 hour
      • Cool 5 minutes and turn out of pans and cool on a wire rack.

      Delete
  3. If I knew you in real life and you lived close by, I'd give you a whole bunch of zucchini! :)

    I just found you by way of SouleMama & am enjoying your blog very much. Thanks for letting me visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if we lived close, I'd take those zucchini!

      I got another monster from work the other day...I'm going to shred and freeze it for the snowy days of winter!

      Thanks for visiting, Melody. Come back again soon!

      Delete