7/30/2011

It's good to have a harpist in the family

 Especially when you're the harpist's cousin 
and you're getting married.

That's my beautiful cousin Anna on her wedding day last Saturday. The day was so hot and the church wasn't air conditioned and when I played and sang I had to compete with the roaring of 15 fans in the sanctuary, but it was such a beautiful event. So full of love. Uncles met me at the front of the church and roadied my harp in for me. Cousins were gorgeous in berry-colored bridesmaids dresses. Aunts were busily milling around pinning flowers and making sure everyone was where they were supposed to be. Guests smiled as they fanned themselves madly with their wedding programs.

I remember Anna's mom, my aunt Joanne, getting married in that same church on a snowy December night. I was in high school and remember my new dress for the wedding (puffy-sleeve, drop-waist, burgundy corduroy number, anyone?). I remember crying when Joanne walked down the aisle to "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" played on the church organ. I remember dancing with her new husband, my Uncle Dick, at the wedding dance – that guy taught me some new moves indeed.

Saturday I cried when I played "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" when Anna walked down the aisle. 

 And when Anna took to the dance floor with her Dad, 
I shed a couple more tears at the flood of all those memories. 

Then a grown-up cousin grabbed my arm and told me it was time to stop sniffling and get down with her to "Love Shack." Which we did, and rather well I might say. Her daughter (also named Anna) jumped up and down for the entire dance. New memories, in the making.

1 comment:

  1. So much history!
    what a gorgeous bride...
    Burgundy corduroy..Hmmmm
    Overalls - yes
    Bridesmaid dresses of corduroy mais NON!
    Sounds like an awful lot of fun even if the fine print of yr contract was disregarded.
    For family, one must be flexible.
    "Lave Shack"!!!

    ReplyDelete