4/29/2011

An invitation to the Royal Wedding!

It came yesterday morning around 9:00 a.m. I was to be awake at 4:00 a.m. the day of the wedding. I was to have my coffee made and to be dressed shortly thereafter. And I was to be next door at Ethel's house by no later than 4:20 a.m. to watch on TV as all the royals and all their hats arrived at Westminster Cathedral. And I had better not be too late, or I'd miss seeing the bride get out of the car.

Ethel may be small, but she is not to be disobeyed. "Yes, ma'am," was my reply to the invitation.

It was early, but it was fun. We critiqued all those hats (really, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, what were you thinking?). We wondered why the Queen didn't wear a crown. We loved the wedding gown. And we fell in love with Prince Harry (did you know I named my Harry cat after him? True 'dat…).
 But where was the royal harpist?

Nowhere to be seen. In my mind, she should have been playing "Canon in D" non-stop as the bride traversed that endless aisle. And she should have accompanied those cherubic, ruffle-collared boys as they sang a song or two.

 I guess they're saving her and her harp 
for the private receptions at Buckingham Palace.

When I told my friends on Facebook that I wanted to be somebody's "official harpist", I had several offers. None paid well (ok, none paid at all), but I found out that I'm officially their favorite harpist. Which is, really, even more valuable.

(Images ©PA)

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog Amy! Did you wear a hat to the wedding? I noticed that many of the commoners watching in the massive crowd adorned their heads with zany hats, too. Yes, the dress was fantastic. Maybe you can play at Harry's wedding some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 'Prince' Harry's official harpist and don't you forget it!
    Yes the HATS were the best part indeed.
    I could have given you a wakeup call my dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paris Poodle5/04/2011

    Yes do play at Harry, the cat's wedding someday...
    Princess Beatrice's hat was the talk of the town/planet evidently.
    I had to play catch up to see it but it was worth it.
    Do you have a gold gown to match yr harp?

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~zz1/FAST/
    Mama shaq mama shaq shaq's your mom. That's a fact.
    FAST AINT A SCAV TEAM

    ReplyDelete