4/23/2011

Harp Tuning - in progress

It's been a rough road tuning Jack's lovely little gold harp. Here's where we started:

video
Ugh. Ouch. Painful.

It was kind of alarming, how badly out of tune the harp was. I really didn't know where to begin. So I decided to start around middle C and tune upward and downward from there. With my electronic tuner and my own well-tuned concert harp at hand for reference, I worked on the middle couple of octaves. When they were fairly correct, I tuned every note by octave (all Cs, all Fs, all As, etc.). Then I started over. Then I had lunch, took a nap. Then I started over. Then I went for a run, took a bath. Then I started over again. And here's where we ended after a few hours:

video
Not bad. But not great.

This is going to be one of those "wash, rinse, repeat" (i.e., "tune, play, repeat")  projects for quite a while, I think. I underestimated it, greatly. But a harp is a harp, and I hate to see one languishing. Moreover, this is JACK's harp. And even if it takes me all year, I'll do what I can to get it back in shape for him.

1 comment:

  1. OUCH!
    That must be a lot of work to tune a harp...
    With watercolors you just give them a spritz of water and they're ready to play.
    Feeling in tune with the paint is nother process and it can take a few paintings to warm up.
    Hmmm

    ReplyDelete