1/17/2011

If I can't write for Coldwater Creek, I'll play the harp for Coldwater Creek

 If you don't get the Coldwater Creek catalog, you should. 

Yeah, the clothes are beautiful and everything, but the WRITING - it's like getting a little volume of poetry, of gorgeous vignettes, of lovely little 50-word stories that transport you beyond clothing and and accessories into the place you want to be while wearing them.

That's good copywriting. And I know. I've been a copywriter for more than 15 years, and I'm pretty jaded. When other catalog copy manages to move me beyond the product to the experience, I bow down in homage.

I actually met the chief copywriter for Coldwater Creek once. I was at a catalog conference in San Francisco several years ago and she was one of the presenters. I was already a fan then. I introduced myself and dithered and mumbled something about wanting to write for her, write like her, work for her, to be her, wear clothes like her...and she said, "Thank you," and turned to the next person in line. End of dream.

Then, in December, the local Coldwater Creek store called and asked me to play for a holiday event. Playing at the mall is really a pain - parking, hidden entrances, loading docks, long hallways, dodging shoppers. But I agreed. Because I wanted to be part of it all.

No, they're not selling harps.

 Strange how you get what you want, 
like working for Coldwater Creek, 
but in ways you never expected.

I have come to accept these twists-of-fate kind of things lately with open arms. The universe and I are on timidly friendly terms, meeting in the middle on thin ice, shaking hands, eyeing each other up. I'm ready for more. Bring it on.

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the Boden catalog, I love the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy I am so impressed! I love the harp and I agree that the catalog and the copy is wonderful!

    Be sure to come and enter my Giveaway from Blydesign......

    Xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this story!
    How serendipitous!
    I love too your 'harpesque' skirt.
    Very appropriate to wear whilst playing.
    Love also this line:
    I have come to accept these twists-of-fate kind of things lately with open arms.
    BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/17/2012

    Love the outfit!! You are so cute and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete