2/12/2009

Unleashing my inner troubadour

Underneath that Celtic exterior
lies the soul of a medieval troubadour.
(I guess that's true for both the harp AND me!)

I’ve completely neglected to mention that I’ll be accompanying Prima Vox with the harp on a few songs during our Sacred & Profane Love concert Friday night. I’ll be standing up and playing, thus the precariously stacked stands. Easier to sing, more medieval-like.

Kinda like the lady in this woodcut,
except there won't be any guys in tights there Friday (we hope).
And, of course, my harp is bigger. I like it that way.

Anyway, it’s not often that the harp comes in second to singing in my musical life. It’s become even more rare that I play my beloved early music on the harp.

But Prima Vox has awakened the sleeping troubadour in me. Some of the songs needed a little something…more. So I brought out the harp one night during rehearsal a few months ago. I played close to the soundboard for a lute-like sound (prĂ©s de la table, for you harp techies) on some pieces, percussively on others, melody on a couple more. “Yeah,” the other Voxes said. “Yeah, the harp is IN.”

I’ll be playing a solo medieval dance tune toward the end of the concert tomorrow. Don’t ask me which one yet…it’s down to two and I played them over so many times last night trying to decide that I gave myself my first-ever blood blister on my left hand 4th finger. All those open 5ths in the bass.

Ow. But it sounds so good…

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/12/2010

    Hi everyone

    The name's Dennis, though most people call me 'Freaky'. :P I'm in my "teens" and kinda lost in the world at the moment...however, I've found the hippie "culture" and discovered that it fits me very well...I'm not trying to fit into it, it just kind of fitted onto me.
    I have lots of questions, which hopefully some of the older and wiser people on this board will be able to help answer.
    Here's to hoping this board will be able to help me discover more of myself and fuel my beliefs.

    Look forward to 'meeting' you all, Dennis from [url=http://www.myonlinepayday.com]Personal Loans[/url] website!

    ReplyDelete